This is the Discovery GAME, where we discover spiritual truths through storytelling.
Slaves, Part 1
- Abraham's son Isaac had a son named Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel.
- Israel had twelve sons, and Joseph became a very wealthy and powerful aid to the king of Egypt.
- After a worldwide famine, Israel moved to Egypt with the rest of his sons.
- And after Israel and all his sons died, their descendants multiplied greatly.
- They were called Israelites, and they filled the land.
- But a new king, to whom Joseph meant nothing, came to power in Egypt.
- “Look,” he said to his people, “the Israelites have become far too numerous for us.
- We must suppress them or they will become even more numerous.
- If war breaks out, they will join our enemies, fight against us, and leave the country!”
- So they enslaved them with masters who oppressed them with forced labor.
- They built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh.
- But the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and filled the land.
- So the Egyptians came to dread the Israelites and worked them ruthlessly.
- They made their lives bitter with harsh labor in brick and mortar and with all kinds of work in the fields.
- In all their harsh labor the Egyptians worked them ruthlessly.
- Then the king sent out his soldiers to kill all the infant sons of the Israelites.
- Moses was just a baby, and his mother placed him in a basket to send him down the river so he would not be killed.
- He was drawn out by the wife of Pharaoh, and she raised him as her own son.
- But when Moses grew up, he murdered an Egyptian slave master, and had to flee the country.
ASK YOURSELVES THESE FIVE QUESTIONS
In this story, what did I discover about God?
What did I discover about man?
How am I doing in obeying God's way?
How am I doing in spreading God's truth?
How am I doing in loving others God has placed in my life?